Track True Task Time

Hi

We need to be able to use project tasks and support tasks to track time better than seems possible out of the box.

For example, within service desk, we create a case and perform a number of individual tasks; Send reply email to customer (15 minutes spent), Have remote desktop support session (1 hour 30 mins), following up call (15 minutes).

Currently it is not possible to track this time and on the case overall have a value that states a total time spent providing support was 2 hours (in above example).

For projects this is even worse, as the Project task has a start date/time and end date/time, which for me is the period of time we have to complete the task and not how much time was actually spent on the task. While some tasks I can put a value in here and it determine that 1 hour 15 mins was spent, on many tasks I may dip in and out of them over the course of a period of time, say 24 hours, but actually only spend 45 minutes doing something for that task.

Here I want to be able to track the 45 mins and not the 24 hours for the start/end time frame, as that is not how I can bill my customer.

Does anyone have any insight on this - am I doing something wrong, is there something I can configure/build into BPM?

Many thanks for any reply.

Mark

Like 1

6 comments

Dear Mark,

Both [Projects] and [Cases] have the details set up [Activities]. Basically, the detail displays the Activities (tasks) created and linked to the particular Case/Opportunity.

You can find the detail  in the [History] tab in [Projects] section and in [Case information] in [Cases] section. Taking your example you will see 3 tasks on the case detail:

1. Send reply email to customer (15 minutes spent),

2. Have remote desktop support session (1 hour 30 mins),

3. Following up call (15 minutes).

Moreover, this is exactly how tracking and managing is performed as you can check what was done and how much time it took for the specific case/project.

With best regards,

Oliver Wingston

Thanks for your reply.

On the ticket situation, when using the shortcuts at the top i.e. call in/out or to do, it will require double input, i.e. use that function, then navigate to Activities to then edit that record to update to the correct timer values. This is not particularly efficient and is prone to error as you are relying on operative to go through that process. For example, a support rep takes an inbound call. Enters the outcome of that call in the Log Call area. Unless they then edit that  activitiy it will be recorded with a start and end time the same, which in the reporting will be 0 minutes.

For Project the Duration value is of little value, but I understand its purpose. The issue in Projects is that the tasks under structure are the entities I should be recording time spent. It does not make sense to create a project structure and then record the time spent and actions in a separate Activities area, which are items separate to the project tasks. Within tasks the start and end are based on whole days, so the minimum time, which is an auto calculated field and locked shows 8 hours.

With each task having a time spent value, this can then be calculated up to total time spent on the project as a whole. Critical information..

Am I missing something?

Mark

Dear Mark,

Within tasks the start and end are based on whole days, so the minimum time, which is an auto calculated field and locked shows 8 hours

Please send a screenshot that shows activities based on whole days. On our side it's possible to change the activities time.

http://prntscr.com/iuqwxl

Unless they then edit that  activitiy it will be recorded with a start and end time the same, which in the reporting will be 0 minutes.

Please attach a small video that shows this. Do you mean that the system calculates call time as 0?

As for now, please specify the activities time manually.

Hi Eugene,

The following screenshot shows the detail from a Project Task (NOT Activity), so to get here I have clicked on Structure.

You will see the start and end date value determines the duration value. This I understand, we are recording the amount of time across the start and end time of the task. However, what I need to capture, and what I would expect the majority of users of Project to need, is for the actual time spent on the task to be recorded. Therefore I would like to have a method to record that separate time value.

I have recorded the video showing the issue with recording time in tickets using the quick in put at the top of the overview page.

https://streamable.com/bmc7u

Dear Mark, 

The mentioned "Activity" is actually the child project. You don't need to create a lot of them. The child projects are like parts of the main project. 

Please find how to calculate the project time on the video by the link below.

https://www.useloom.com/share/703e2558252e46ae935e4717ca4addb6

Oleh Chudiiovych writes:

Dear Mark,

Both [Projects] and [Cases] have the details set up [Activities]. Basically, the detail displays the Activities (tasks) created and...MoreLess

Show all comments